Friday, January 11, 2008

Doctors and Hospital Rule again and yet again!

I have this crazy ringer on my cell phone. Don't know how I got it from what I did have to this one, but it is crazy! Have yet to be able to understand it! At least it makes a noise, and I know which phone is ringing. I do not talk on the phone real well, so am not accustomed to answering it. Most calls are from daughter and granddaughters, and from doctors' offices sometimes confirming upcoming appointments, but most of those go to Jim's phone since he manages my appointments.

This morning began with this crazy, glaring *noise* which I knew in a moment must be St. Nick.... no, no.... I mean my cell phone. It was a rare voice call of unknown origin which I am reluctant to answer, and not one of our usual text messages our family depends upon..... or is that addicted to? LOL Say what you will, but using text messaging has been, and I am using the term as a cliche, a life saver for us, with my sister in North Carolina going through breast cancer last year, and now with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, our granddaughter and her two children with another on the way in Ohio, our son in Mississippi, and us with daughter and granddaughters and Ashton here in Blytheville. It is so easy to just send a quiet message that we are thinking of one another, plus we send pictures of the babies around. My phone is loaded with them!! *s* I've learned to take one-handed camera phone pictures of Ashton while I am holding him. Gotta catch it while my arm is strong, before it is weak and trembling, and even then I'm learning to find places to rest it so I can get a clear picture. Now, I've just got to get update pictures of Matthew (4) and Kaitlyn (2 in Feb).

Okay. Tangent aside. This lady says, "Mrs. Wages." Well, that means she has the right number, and she knows it is I to whom she is talking. Ohhhh no. She then begins to tell me that she told my husband that we were to report to Outpatient, but the hospital called .......STOP! He needed to hear all she said, because with my hearing impairment, although I knew what she had just said, he needed to hear her clearly and all the details. Can you guess? I bet some who have been along for this ride from the beginning can. Not Outpatient and Admissions after all. Back through the ER again. A moment of silence. Think this over a bit. Think about the previous post on why I was happy to be going through Admissions and not the ER. Actually, well, I really do not know in the event they did not have a bed for me whenever we checked in, and I would not have the option of going on and being admitted so we could get the treatment started. Going through the ER is a sure-bed in Holding without much wait, albeit temporary for a few hours, whereas going directly through Admissions just *might* not be, leaving me stranded for hours in the waiting room....... or something...... who knows?

Now that I know what is facing me, my mind is already figuring how to make that possible side-track easier than the past ones, while hoping with all I've got that it will be a straight admit from the ER. It *has* happened before. I do not always have to hold over in the ER, it just depends on the patient census at the time. That has been a very full hospital this fall and winter.

Running through my mind now are ways I might make a possible Holdover easier, less stressful for me, since I will - as it looks right now, but we know that could change - be rested, and relatively pain-free when starting out. As Jim stated earlier, when I was wishing to *do something* this weekend since I felt so good, everything could be turned around in the other direction by tonight. Yep, that is *MY* myasthenia!

The hospital cannot change because of me, so I have to fit myself around their methods, and I *do* have a good idea of what that is now! Eight months worth of learning under my belt! I must do what benefits me most. I am determined this is going to be a good, and profitable treatment this time! It takes a team to fight Myasthenia Gravis, to get it under control. When I started out last May, the nurses knew close to nothing about MG. Amazing what they know now! Maybe it is good they are learning from an atypical patient, so they can be prepared for almost anything in the future unless a cure is found for the disease. This is one of my purposes in being here, to draw attention to the disease, with hopes of people learning about it, and how it affects peoples lives, people to include more than just the patients themselves. Nother subject, nother time.

This is the day the Lord hath made. Let us Rejoice and be glad in it.

Toodles

Striving for a world without Myasthenia Gravis


No comments: